Monday

Good Friday wisdom

When my high school friends, the Kaka, meet - the conversation that unfolds is part nostalgia and part transcendental in a funny way.

Every moment is a special moment. We affirm one another. We strengthen one another. We make one another young. We make one another seasoned with wisdom the next.

A part of the conversation this Friday past that's worth mentioning is the treatise between two opposing thoughts: [1] Life is short, let's be happy (happy in a sense of threading on irresponsibility) and [2] Life is short, so why make it shorter?

The conversation landed on this topic because we are all in our mid-30s. I am the youngest in this group. Some are turning 36 this year. Some are turning 35. And I am (I think Gary, too) turning 34. Aside from this biological fact, Edward, our sports science expert, is working on his graduate thesis that has something to do with the dynamics of exercise and nutrition.

One or two of the Kaka are Edward's lab rats = )

So, they were sharing the journey and the experience of being Anakin to Master Edward. From the smile-filled exchange, it seems that Edward's hypothesis is being proven right. (I'll let Edward publish his results in academic journal.)

And since, some of our are actually family men - health is paramount. As they say, one of the ways for a man to show his love to his family is to love the wife and to stay healthy.

I saw the "life is short, so why make it shorter..." with fresh eyes.

I know I will feel guilty if ever my life will become shorter because of my habits. I will feel guilty because I won't be able to finish what I am suppose to finish on this earth.

When I was 28, I had this breakthrough (to borrow from Jerry Maguire) about the "why" question I have been asking since college.

I felt small when I found out what was my calling. But as I followed the calling, I never felt more alive in my life. I honestly leave everything in the classroom. I love the feeling of being exhausted at the end of the day. I feel good that I did not shortchange the class, the school and above all, the Audience of One.

Well, life is short, so, why make it shorter?

Let's add - live strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment