Sunday

64.56

64.56

That's the passing mark for IE423 course or what is called as Strategic Planning and Management for those who are under the Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management program at Mapua Institute of Technology.

I've heard the remarks that it is hard. Sometimes it is coupled with "'di naman kasama sa Applied IE, pero mahirap." Sometimes, it also coupled with "Sige na Sir. Next term kasi, kung uulitin namin, 'yan? 'yan lang ang kukunin namin." The worst plea is this - "Sige na Sir, pasa na ninyo kami. Engineering Management naman 'yung course namin, eh."

These are snapshots comments I've heard over the past eight years I've been teaching and everytime I hear it, my heart breaks over these comments.

For one, the students really does not get it yet. That life is not an entitlement but hard work. That life is about cause and effect. That "we reap what we sow.."

Someone said, "If we think education is expensive and hard, why don't we try ignorance for a change? Let's see where that leads us to..."

My dear students, over the past days, my awareness of the finiteness of life is heigthened - do hear me out...

I am this way because of these following beliefs:

1. You will do a Practicum Research soon. If you can not see and understand the holistic view of things, you will have a difficult time trying to justify why you have to do this particular research.

2. If you pass because "napakiusapan si Sir, eh!" then, why go to school and pay the expensive tuition fees. Go to Recto and get yourself a Transcript of Records and a freshly minted Diploma. This alternative will save your parents time, effort and money. Plus, this alternative will also save you the effort of "requesting".

I know your struggles for I also was once a student. I came from Tundo, the meanest streets there is in Manila. I saw poverty.

I saw, lived and triumphed over the process of overcoming. I know what it means and I know the value of that.

When I was your age, my parents did provide for me but I have to work and act in theater to support what I think I need to learn, to get ahead. With the help of our Almighty Lord, the poverty around me helped me see what I want.

The questions now for you is this, "What do you do with the hardships thrown at you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment