Monday

my african journey

We all know the story of Dubai. And that's that. Stayed there for awhile and then flew to another continent, another time zone = )

And now, I am part of the story of Africa.

I just had my last face time with the South African Managing Director. I am killing time now. I gave my presentation last Friday afternoon to my African counterparts and they were kind enough to receive it well.

I went to their museum last Saturday. And I finally realize why they reacted to certain things I say. They are silent in a different way. Especially when I try to explain TQM and relate TQM to things one will not normally associate TQM with.

My heart melted when one local approached me and he told me that they have been talking about the new oyibo downstairs at the shop floor. He shook my hand and for the first time in a long time I felt a different kind of gratitude. An African gratitude. Pure.

I get them. I understand them. Funny, it took awhile before the novelty of seeing so many black people to die down. I do not mean to offend but to see so many all at the same time is new. Now, they are simply like us. Like, anybody. They all want the next generation that will come after them to have better lives than what they have.

I am leaving this continent with a greater appreciation for what I have and what was given to me in the Philippines.

I've seen how bad things are here. But I also see the energy. The hope. The road is long but does that matter? Are we not in a journey where ever we are? It does not matter if we are in the developed world or the developing world. Both are journeys to be had.

Lord, thank you for showing me this. The books You allowed me to have and read brought me here. The passion You indwelt me with brought me here. = )

I pray for traveling mercies as I go home. And thank You for keeping my loved ones back home safe.

"... why think like mere men?"

No comments:

Post a Comment