Wednesday

practicum psyche

I was privileged to be part of a practicum/ research study last year that did not end up in the confines of Mapua IE-EMG Research Center and never to be heard of again. The study made its way to a national research colloquium. Got peer-reviewed and was given the chance to be presented in a national conference.

This is one of my recent academic high = )

I actually never expected it to reach that "high". I mean, the raw materials I have were not your usual generic bright boys. But in the end, the three gentlemen gave me one of the pure pleasures in teaching.

I do not know if my current advisees ever dream of having something like that.

But, I always start in advising practicum studies with this end in mind: "that my advisees may contribute a verse, even a line, in the epic called life = )"

So to my current advisees, and also the future ones, I like to open up my psyche on practicum advising.

First, the goal is to finish Practicum 2 with head held up high. It is not to pass Practicum 1. By that, do not worry when the study will be met with challenges in having Practicum 1 approved. After all, the panel's job is to refine the thinking. Just in case you still do not know, you paid for this "refine the thinking" service = )

The key is to engage the panel so that you know how they think. Trust me, it is better this way if we are to look at the totality of your career that's about to begin because in the end, your viewpoint will be expanded and you will be more inclusive. This skill, of being able to confidently engage others in articulating your thoughts and understanding theirs, is essential if you want to move up and around = )

Second, do not compare. In fact, never compare yourself with others. Your road is different from them. And theirs different from yours. Know that there's a grand plan for your life. And by the way, I understand the confusion you may feel right now and trust me, there's a plan for your life. For I have been through the same confusion you have. Clarity comes. Just wait for it.

Third, trust me. When we discuss your work, know that I will bring you to a designed learning experience that will enrich your learning. And by learning, I do not mean to limit it in bookish learning but in understanding, coping and thriving in the invisible dynamics present in your particular situation.

Fourth, when you start to feel that I am not advising you anymore, it means that my job is done = )

And lastly, if we finish it, know that I am proud of you. Serious.

"... why think like mere men?"

No comments:

Post a Comment