Monday

a nest, a lance and the letter "S"

They wanted to market mango wine.

I had my doubts but they insisted. I saw passion. So, I let them be.

If there's something I learned about advising research studies, it is simply this - do not stand in the way of curiosity and fire. Just give it direction and help the researchers to focus and discipline their thinking. It is easier to fan the fire than to start one.

But it all came down to a halt. The current technology in making mango wine has not got around the short shelf life hump. So we move on to other things.

In the confusing days that ensued, in one of our consultation huddle, an idea found the three musketeers. Apparently, the families of Nesty and of Ess were into farming. Nesty, the son a mayor, was even asked by the father to look for better ways to use the arable lands of their town. With that, things got really interesting. Exciting. The exchange of ideas and reports came in very fast.

From the initial idea of finding the best use of a hectare of land in Nueva Ecija, it was further refined to optimal mix of secondary crops.

This whole experience was a privilege for me. I honestly saw Lance, Nesty and Ess finally exude the maturity of being men. They owned up. I am proud to have been a part of their journey.

From the academic point of view, it was fresh to see the effect of using Industrial Engineering tools to age old farming. Using Expert's Choice to aid farmers what crops to plant after the rice have been harvested. To see the decision variables the three gentlemen considered to arrive at their conclusion only showed me that they are geniuses of farming. I just hope they know and do not forget this.

To the three gentlemen, there's a reason why your research study was chosen to represent our school in research colloquium. Your work is that good.

I know you enjoyed college so much that you stayed a bit longer but that's in the past now. Today is different. And tomorrow is something you can build. Know that any moment is a moment where you can change everything. The question is - will you decide to change?

I am proud of you, guys.

"... why think like mere men?"

No comments:

Post a Comment