Wednesday

H1N1 Quarantine introspection

Mapua is on a quarantine.

I actually can't put a finger on my true feelings about this situation. Maybe it has to do with age. Maybe it is simply because, though I am still young compared to my parents, actually everyone is young compared to their parents = ), I am no longer a young man. Or whatever that means.

But I'll be honest, the rest is most welcome. At least I spend my rest running in the mornings = ) I like it very much to run when it's actually drizzling a bit.

Why? It is more dramatic and a very rich experience = ) I do not know if doctors would agree, or at least, if I get sick, I've kept their careers alive = ) But this is just being me. I like that I get my cardio exercise and then I get myself washed thoroughly. Physically, mentally and "spiritually".

I do not know what it is about rain, or getting wet for that matter, that gets me to look inside and take account of my life. Maybe it's biblical. I mean, God's presence has been represented through clouds and when we talk about baptism, water is involved.

This morning, while I was jogging, my mind rushed to the concept of perpetual growth - what is necessary for one to perpetually grow? This concept is not metaphysical. It is actually very practical and down right into the realm and science of economics.

We abhor (GDP). We love GDP growth. We were taught to think that expansion is good. I agree. But do we know what it takes to grow?

I was looking at my leg muscles. Due to the increased activity it has received over the past 6 years, it's strength has grown. Physically, it has grown. Got sculpted and acquired definition. That's good.

But what did happen before it reached this stage?

Kinetics and ergonomics will tell, that I actually destroyed my muscles everyday. And as my body healed itself, it grew = )

Living systems has a "funny" way of growing itself. It embraces destruction to grow.

If we are to juxtapose this living system fact with economics, then why are we complaining with all this destruction and pain when we are so into growth?

If we are to apply this to business, why would CEOs be wary when they see destruction if it is part of growth? I mean, they want growth, right? They want to be number 1, right?

But do I want to be number 1? Is that the reason why I run? Why I live with the constant pain on my legs? = )

I run because I actually enjoy running. And it helps that due to running, I can hold on to and enjoy the youthfulness of my ever getting old body as long as my body allows it and, hopefully, be a blessing to others.

As they say, live strong!

"... why think like mere men?"

Thank you Lord...

No comments:

Post a Comment