Sunday

fairly smart students 2.0

Last night, the School of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management of Mapua staged the annual Convergence entitled: In White, Unite or something like that = )

As the evening unfolds, I caught myself enjoying the revelry, the energy and the passion that was presented. But this positive vibe bridged into something sort of a kill-joy realization. A curiosity. A query. A wonder.

How come this same passion and energy of the youth can not be transported into the classroom? I did not mean in the same physical manifestation but in the results of their work. And I do not mean to imply that this is limited only to Mapua. I mean, the rivalry, the passion and energy of the Ateneo-La Salle (in alphabetical order) in UAAP Basketball is already legendary but how come this same passion and energy can not live and flourish away from the basketball courts?

I mean, the alumni of these schools are suppose to be our business leaders and yet can we name products that are truly world class? A product that is not a Filipino version of a western product. I mean a product that the whole world can trace to our shores.

I know basketball and everyday life is different but what is it about basketball that get all of us crazy?

How come the energy and passion can not infect how we go about our daily lives?

Which brings us to my two new advisees this term.

The research topic is promising yet it is daunting. It will truly differentiate them but it also means that they will be alone for there are only a few students who take this path. And these students are far in between, so effectively these two fairly smart students will be... alone.

I will give advise. I will guide. But in the end, they are the ones responsible.

I am hoping and praying they own up. That they take responsibility. That they blame no one, except themselves when everything falls apart. For it is also true, when everything falls into place. They only have themselves to congratulate.

"... why think like mere men?"

No comments:

Post a Comment