Thursday

Another America? Another G20?

Home. With no professional engagement for the day due to the Black Nazarene procession in the City of Manila, I am in my house husband clothes. I just fed my little girl, Yanna. She's asleep. And my mind wanders to a talk I will give in 12 days. A "sustainability" talk.

As I draw the slides, offline, of my presentation, there's this nagging question of 'Can the world, I mean its resources, build another America, in economic size, out of the Philippines? Out of Sri Lanka? How about Myanmar? East Timor-Leste?'

I mean, our current economic giants became giants with the help of world's natural resources which were consumed and will never be replenished again. The green house gases in our atmosphere were due to their economic drive and rise. Can Mother Nature still nurse the developing country to become a developed country?

And by developed country, do we mean that the developing countries have to look and smell like New York? Paris? So, should we invest in nuclear power plants?

What do we mean by a developed country? Will it still mean in the semblance of USA? of Japan? of UK? of EU? Or will it mean differently moving forward?

Will becoming a developed country still be the gold standard of any country's aspiration even if that level of development is not sustainable?

Is it, development, still the central question? Or is it - sustainability?

It has been over two years since I got immersed to the idea, a fact, that all our business processes, manufacturing or service, results to two things. One, is the desired result. The product, wealth. The other one, emissions - waste.

Yanna is awake now. Play time :- )

"... why think like mere men?"


 




No comments:

Post a Comment