Tuesday

looking back to move forward

God willing, he will be born on December.

As I reflect on this, I can't help but look back on how I was raised by Nanay and Tatay in a place known for its violence, struggles and turmoils - Tundo.

Growing up I did not know I live in a place outsiders calls "lugar at tahanan ng siga".

Tundo was home for me. A safe place.

Though we have kababata-kalaro-at kaibigan who ended up becoming drug addicts, drug pushers, holduppers, snatchers and some, I heard, killers and murderers - most turn out to live decent lives, positively contributing to society. Good fathers and loving mothers.

Looking back, I think we, Elisalde, Ellis and I, having Nanay and Tatay always at our side made the difference for us. We were sent to good schools. Tuto and I went to Colegio de San Juan de Letran in high school. Ellis got accepted at Manila Science High School. And earlier, Ellis and I got accepted in the government's special education program. We got accelerated. Jumped from Grade 3 to Grade 5.

It also helped that when we were growing up, our house was always full of relatives. Manang Nining, Manang Suling, Manang Helen and Manang Neli helped Nanay raised three energetic boys. And for everyone else who we call Manong, their situation of being transients, seamen waiting for their names to be called bago sila sumampa sa barko, on hindsight, gave us this belief that with work - one can change his lot in life.

And it is always a positive when young boys grow up in the company of men. Boys know how to become a man with men. And we, thank God, have an abundance of examples to look up to. Beginning with Tatay.

Thus, what could be a place of despair for most was home for us. A safe place.

I don't know if Nanay and Tatay knew it but it was their love for one another and their decision to welcome our relatives, who came from Iloilo and from Bacolod, into our home that helped me and my two brothers feel that Tundo was a safe place to grow up. A place where dreams begin, held and turned into reality :- )

"... why think like mere men?"










No comments:

Post a Comment