Sunday

the old man at the airport

I landed today in the country of the Rising Sun. I got my Japanese welcome when the plane arrived 30 minutes early :)

Our host sent us a notice that somebody will meet us at the airport to help us get into the train from Narita to Shibuya, Tokyo. I did not get his name. Aside from the broken English he had, he was a reminder, a switch, a jolt or a mentally shift that I am in Japan already.

You see, from where I come from, you bring everything with you. You don't leave your things. Most specially to strangers. But from the expression of his face, he looked offended when I initially decline his offer to leave my bags with him as I change my dollars to local currency. He insisted. That's when I knew that I was simply carrying a way of thinking, I thought was universally natural, in response to what is not right.

"... why think like mere men?"

No comments:

Post a Comment