Saturday

on colonialism

Who would not be angry about being colonized?

I was angry once but I have moved beyond 'that' anger and 'that' hate of 'once upon a time colonizers', like the Spaniards, the Americans and the Japanese, upon realizing that there's hardly a country in the world that was not colonized :)

So, I have stopped blaming 'them' because I have realized that I will be doing my country, the Philippines, a disservice if all I can produce out of the injustice, out of the abuse and out of the suffering brought about by colonization is a measly anger and hate.

A colonized mind is too steep a price to pay if all I can get out of it is anger and hate?

And adding insult to injury is the fact that we do not have 'old-school' colonizers in our midst but the infrastructure and the mindset that they have drilled into our psyche is still upon us. And worse, our current colonizers are already brown skinned. Instead of destroying the structure instituted by the colonizers, all they did was to put their selves into the shoes of the historical colonizers :)

I refuse to contain and limit my reactions to colonialism and to its evil at anger and hate. I think we, the everyday Filipinos, can do something more than anger and hate.

Like, asking and trying to answer why are we, Filipinos, still stuck at this colonial mentality? When almost all those who have been colonized, like we were once and also at the same time like we were, has managed to break free from that bondage, like Malaysia 'Truly Asia'? :)

Why are we still there? Or here? :)

Is this question and the forthcoming answer the very beginning of our liberalization?

I wonder :)

"... why think like mere men?"

No comments:

Post a Comment