Thursday

beauty unappreciated

It happened again.

This Tuesday last, I asked my MGT151 class, Marketing Systems, to describe the Philippines. The answer given by a lady were the following adjectives: polluted, overpopulated, corrupt and dirty. The class nodded their heads. They agreed.

I think she's 18 or 19. Too young to be losing hope. It is so early. Serious.

Sadly, I "kind of" expected those type of answers.

So, I asked the class - if the Philippines is what you say it is, why then are the Koreans buying swats of land in Baguio? Why are the eastern Europeans invested so much money in Boracay? Why would foreigners invest millions of money and build the Manila Ocean Park behind the Luneta Grandstand, a place considered baduy by wersh-wersh speaking society of the Philippines? And why would Koreans and Taiwanese put $300 million on developing Coron, Palawan if the Philippines is indeed polluted, overpopulated, corrupt and dirty?

The class was silent.

I hope I was instrumental in putting a little of disequilibrium in their heads.

Why are the foreigners putting serious money and resources to our country?

What is it that they see in the Philippines that we do not?

Or what is it that we wrongly see about the Philippines that we all want out? = )

I love the Philippines. And I am proud to be a Filipino! A race of Lapu-Lapus and Jose Rizals.

... I will not fear men, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment