Monday

Intel-Philippines closing down in 2 years?

I heard it from the grapevine.

If this is true, yes, jobs will be lost. Families will have to "evolve" their lifestyles. I see pain. I see a chance for a rebirth. I see an opportunity to be a better Filipino. I see a chance to become a better version of ourselves.

I have to look at it that way for the other one does not help me move forward.

... and another thing.

Another thing far more disturbing. The kind that makes my heart go painfully silent . The capacity that Intel-Philippines facility was counted on will now shift to India. Please don't get me wrong, I have nothing against India. This is not their fault. That's how the world works when we compete globally = )

Here's the funny thing about high volume manufacturers, which Intel is, most processes on the shop floor are automated. The significance of that statement is if all the raw materials are available and manpower is available to run the machines, the production yield will remain fairly the same. The output variability will be small. And the significance of that statement is if output is almost the same, the cost to produce per piece will remain the same wherever you are in the world. And why is this? If we are to compare manpower cost to the amount of setting up a facility like what Intel sets up, it is so small, one might laugh = )

So why is Intel shifting production to India? Is it because of this "minuscule" increase in manpower cost? Could be.

But if I am to put my money, if this is gambling (but this blog entry is really one for I am only hypothesizing due to limited information), Intel is shifting production to India because we have limited ability to see, to plan, to act and to manage very dynamic variables that can be currently described as "random". And because of this limited ability, the way we see and do our roles and the output that happens because of that is "not optimal" in management science terms. And because of this, it is better to invest in India than in the Philippines.

I think our collective intelligence as a race and as a nation (which have bright spots mind you, like Jose Rizal) and our way to get intelligence is limitedly inspired.

Why do I say that? I think Intel-Philippines employed the most number of Engineering Master degree holders in the Philippines. And these Engineering Masters are from our 1st tier universities and colleges. But, I guess even with that fact - it is still not enough.

I mean, consider the competition - India.

In India, what is required for a citizen, if one has the means to get an education is to get a graduate degree. I mean, finish college then pursue and finish graduate studies before one turns 24. And if you are really gifted, get a PhD before one turns 28.

If we are speaking base on statistics and using simple ratio and proportion, India will definitely have more Master Degree holders and Doctorate degree holders for they number close to 1.2 billion and we, the Filipinos, a little over 80 million.

But this simple numbers crunch is flawed too if we are to use it in comparison to today's Singapore for they only number only a little over 4 million but our economic output is nowhere near their's.

But I rather see today's Philippines like the late 1960s version of South Korea. I say that, because all is not lost. Look at where the South Koreans are now = ) You can hear those "noisy" bunch everywhere in Metro Manila and in our scenic and beautiful tourist spots.

So, am I saying the key is education? Probably. India is where it is now mostly because of decisions made more than 50 years ago regarding their educational system. Those decisions in the past is bearing fruits now and today's Indian generation is reaping the sacrifices of the past.

But is it really about that? Probably. Why do I say that? Well, the answer lies in what we hear when we ask the employees that has a master degree this question - "Why did you take your Masters?"

If the answer is something close to and resembles, "... better career opportunities and more money," then you know where the problem is.

Getting more money out of a Master Degree used to be the gravy and not the goal. A Master Degree used to mean a mark of person in search of something, a life's journey, for the benefit of mankind if I am to push it romantically.

Our present value set has "transactionlized" and commercialized something beautiful and we have perpetuated that watered down version of a Master's Degree.

... and that's the painfully funny thing. So, what do we do now?

Well, for me , I'll affect those who are in my sphere of influence. Will passionately present to them the limitation of our awareness of our reality. I will not tire because there's nothing else to do that holds me like this. That consumes me like this.

Lord, I am invincible until You are done with me. I will hold on to that. Thy will be done!

And for you, I pray that you embrace your call when it comes...

No comments:

Post a Comment