Sunday

the school of new things :- )

I turned 38 last September 25 and as a "gift" to myself, and with the blessing from my pretty wife, we paid someone to give me pain. I joined the local gym.

I was carrying apprehension and excitement to my first workout. But as I completed it, I realized that after an hour of a full body workout, they become exhaustion.

During the night, my body felt warm. The thermometer read 37.5 but I wasn't feverish. And as I woke up, exhaustion turned into pain. And he was a load for a companion.

I had to gingerly get up. My mid-section was aching. I can not lift my arms, much more the tabo to wash myself. I had to solely and exclusively use the shower for everything. I sit and I stand up like an 80 year old pushing 90.

It was frustrating. I realized that having the ability to run 10K under an hour, is simply an indicator but not a definitive one to conclude that I was healthy. I still have a long way to go.

Things started to be better on the 3rd day but it was the same day I am to see my fitness instructor, Maru, for the 2nd time. And I did not know what to make of that fact. I mean, I now know what happens the day after a workout. But I reminded myself that we paid for this. So, I soldiered on as my wife gave her trademark sheepish smile :- )

It has been three weeks since that day and I can say, and I do not know when it started, I am actually looking forward to that post-workout "exhaustion and pain". I can not believe I am saying that but I am :- )

It got me so curious that I am now reading and studying the human musculoskeletal system to understand what happens underneath our skins.

At the age of 38, gym class is my favorite course.

The workouts are reinvigorating not only my physical health but also making me a better learning facilitator and a reimagineer. There is so much parallelism. Truth is truth. Whether in mathematics, in management and in exercise. Truth cuts across fields. Fascinating.

By the way, the fact that I will be a Dad and I will see my kid in a few weeks time, God-willing, also helped. I truly want to be there for my kid. Raising kids is an opportunity and a gift. I do not want my health to spoil it.

"... why think like mere men?"




No comments:

Post a Comment