Friday

cinemalaya

I'm a movie buff.

Right now, I can't wait to see Dark Knight. Been reading all the reviews and it's consistent across the board. From what I read, its a transcendental film. I think I will enjoy confirming that review.

Well, passion transcends everything. Including the actor himself.

Last night, my friends from way-back-teenage years and Beb went to the main theater of the Cultural Center of the Philippines to watch and "critic" Baby Angelo. Actually, it's more proper to say to appreciate the thespian skills of our friend, Jojit Lorenzo. (It was also a pleasant surprise to see and meet Ms Rapunzel Hernandez again. Now, not just a student and a commercial talent but as an actress.)

For all its worth, the film "Baby Angelo" is clean. I mean, the story rolled on smoothly. The shots were utilitarian. Maybe that's the look they were trying to get = )

I know Jojit personally. Maybe that will explain my initial struggle in trying to figure out the character he is playing. All in all, it is the subtle ways of acting that made me appreciate the film from the first frame up to the last. It's the ability to say one thing and mean another. It's the ability to keep a serene front as one holds the vile and strong feelings inside. An interesting way to keep the story's tension.

On another level, it is an amazing time to be in cinema making again in the Philippines. It seems that societal angst that brought out the cinematic gems of 1970s is back.

We are truly creative when we are pushed to the wall. I love these situations. No wonder, this year's Cinemalaya has 77 entries. A fact that confirms a creative time and it also does not hurt that the technology in story telling is becoming accessible, cheaper, to a larger audience.

Societal angst brought about by challenged economy is very good for the creative people = )

Indeed, every situation has a silver lining. And we only see it when we make the effort to look.

"... everything works out for the good..."

No comments:

Post a Comment